Rumors that the Eugene Celebration and parade are being canceled this year are true, according to Brendan Releford of Kesey Enterprises, the private organization that runs the celebration along with the McDonald Theater and Cuthbert Theater. A press release is expected to be sent out to media at about 5:30 pm today (Tuesday, May 3)
Releford says the event was financially successful last year for the first time but crowds downtown at evening peak times were a problem. "The size of the event doesn't fit the core anymore," he says. "We tried to come up with a footprint this year that makes sense and we've hit roadblocks at every turn."
"We want to come back strong next year," he says. The parade has also been canceled for now, but doing just the parade is "not out of the question."